Click on the icon above for

 the history of the Brighton Branch of ASLEF  

 Click on the icon above for

the Sussex Motive Power Depots & ASLEF Branches  





THE BRIGHTON LOCO SHED & WORKS 


 

The London and Brighton Railway opened a small locomotive shed and servicing facility at the north-west of the station for locomotives on the Shoreham line, in May 1840 A second locomotive shed was opened in 1841, which was adjacent to the locomotive works for the main line locomotives.

 


During 1860-1861 John Chester Craven, the Locomotive Superintendent of the London Brighton and South Coast Railway (LB&SCR) applied for planing permission to build a new locomotive shed which meant the removal of a large chalk hill to the north of the station, which had been dumped during the excavation of the main line. The Brighton council objected to his plan and Craven’s response was to relocate the locomotive shed and works to Horley. The Brighton council finally gave permission to his plans, because they did not want to loose the biggest empolyer in the Town. The space created was used to accommodate a new much enlarged motive power depot in 1861, replacing the two existing facilities.



 

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Brighton railway workers in the 1850'S 

 


 The last engine built by the LBSCR in 1922

 

Fighter Command 21C164/34064

The 1000th locomotive built at Brighton locomotive works since 1852, new to traffic 14th July 1947. After trials, fitted with first of the modified 'V' wedge shaped cabs, with two side windows (three became standard later). New to Ramsgate shed. Formally named at Waterloo Station by Sir James Robb 11 September 1947, along with Winston Churchill and Lord Dowding. Renumbered 34064 3rd June 1948. Unrebuilt; fitted with Giesl oblong Ejector and chimney April 1962, but this had no particular effect on the Bulleid's already excellent steaming abilities. Standby engine for Sir Winston Churchill's funeral train in January 1965; held in steam at Staines, but not needed. Withdrawn from Salisbury shed 22nd May 1966, stored in Basingstoke yard September 1966 and scrapped by Birds at Bridgend November 1966.  Final mileage 759,666.

 

The construction of Bulleild's Leader Class locomotive at Brighton locomotive works in 1948

 This video appears on youtube

 

The last Brighton built locomotive on 20th March 1957

 

 

BRIGHTON LOCOMOTIVE WORKS

Brighton Locomotive Works


Photo taken from the buffer stops on platform 10.


 L.B.S.C.R. LOCOMOTIVES BUILT AT BRIGHTON WORKS

 

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

 

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

 

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

 During the early 1930s, following the electrification of the lines the steam motive power depot was rebuilt and reduced in size.

 

 

 Video shows scenes in and around Brighton in the 1960s 

This video appears on youtube

 

 

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

 

 

 

PHOTOS OF BRIGHTON LOCO DEPOT & WORKS

Photos of Brighton Locomotive Depot & Works

 

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

 

Scenes in and around Brighton Loco Shed c1962 by Alan Bartlett 

 

The locomotive shed was closed on 15 June 1961, but remained in use for stabling steam locomotives until 1964 and later demolished on the 14th August 1966. The stabling of diesel locomotives continued to use this site until the mid 1980s, by which time there was only 4 sidings left remaining.

 

 Bob Dorkings Collection

Brighton Loco sidings 1984


Brighton Loco Sidings just before and after the re-signalling of Brighton

 

With the re-signalled of Brighton in the mid 1980s the stabling of diesel locomotives was relocated to the West sidings (Wall sidings) until the late 1990s. Brighton M.T.  lost all main line loco working in 2000, when a new Virgin Cross Country depot opened at Brighton. 

The loco hauled Cross Country service was soon replaced by Voyagers units in the mid 2000. These units where maintained at a new stabling point at Three Bridges. The service ceased to continue in December 2008 along with the train crew depot closing at the same time.

 Brighton West/Wall sidings being used as the stabling point for Brighton's locos

For a more in depth look at the history of Brighton loco depot

 

 

Click on the icon above for

the history of the Brighton Branch of ASLEF

Click on the icon above for

the Sussex Motive Power Depots & ASLEF Branches

free templates
Make a Free Website with Yola.